It’s May the 4th and you’re going to be bombarded all day with May the 4th be with you references, so here’s my one.
Have you seen the blanket made using the Star Wars Craft Charts by Leah Fenton? The beauty of them, is that they can be used in any project. If you’re a Star Wars fan or you know someone who is, go and check them out.
(I have to apologies for the photos today the light just wasn’t too good, sorry)
Today, I thought I’d finally get around to sharing my Scrappy Baby Blanket, which I finished a few days ago. It’s all blocked and ready to go, but I’m tempted to knit a Milo to go with it now after seeing all the fantastic examples on the Olann and Ravelry board and Facebook Page. I’ve made two before, but it’s totally inspiring to see all of the different projects.
Back to the blanket
I’m thrilled with how it’s turned out. It’s certainly going to be warm that’s for sure, but I’m hoping they love it too.
I was very strict with myself and only use scrap coloured yarn held together with the ivory yarn. This did result in quite a lot of ends, but it was worth it and the applied I-cord edging makes for a great hiding place for them.
I forgot to weigh my ends as I went along, so have to base my calculations on the amount of the ivory yarn I used. In total the blanket took approximately 360g of Ivory yarn, which equates to 714 metres (give or take). There was more Ivory yarn used because of the border so I’m guessing that the coloured yarn, measures around 550 metres.
If my maths is right you need around 1300 metres of yarn in total, that will give you wiggle room for colour changes and sewing in ends.
The blanket measures 103 x 88 cm and is a good size, ideal for a cot, pram or just laying on the floor.
I’m not sure it’s worthy of a pattern as it’s only a stash busting project, but if you fancy making something similar, here’s the ‘recipe’.
I used 7mm needles and aran weight scraps (coloured yarn) held double with Adriafil New Zealand yarn in shade 011 (4 balls).
Using the provisional cast on method and two yarns held together, I cast on 80 stitches. In total I worked 448 rows of garter stitch (224 ridges), alternating the coloured yarn as I knitted (always at the end of the row, but on either side of the work).
I didn’t cast off, instead I left my stitches on my needle and began working my applied I-cord border in the middle of one of the sides. I used 4 extra stitches and worked in one garter stitch bump per round. There’s some great videos on how to work an applied I-cord edge on YouTube.
When I came to the corner of the blanket, I worked 3 rows of the i-cord, without joining it to the blanket, this ensures the knitting isn’t ruched up and sits flatter. At the live stitches (either those on the needle or at the provisional cast on edge), I worked one stitch on each round of the border.
My only criticism of the blanket, is that I rushed joining the ends of the I-cord together when I was tired and should have done a much better job.
There has been much on the needles and the blocking mats too. In fact, my mats, wires and pins are out so often, it hardly seems worth putting them away these days. I’ll fill you in on some of the other projects soon, so as not to bombard you with tons of photos today.
I’ve also been weaving a little, I’m not sure what I’m going to use it for, but it’s lovely and textured. Most importantly, it kept me busy for a few hours and allowed my batteries to re-charge.
Maybe I’ll just hang it on my wall, so I can stroke it every time I walk past.